• 1 cup red lentils
• 1 1/2 cup water
• 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
• 2 tablespoons avocado or sesame oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 teaspoons garam masala
• 1 tablespoon curry powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
• 1/3 cup coconut milk
• 1 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
• 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1. Rinse lentils to remove any debris. Place lentils, water, and broth in a stockpot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until cooked through, stirring occasionally. Lentils will break apart and get mushy as they cook.
2. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add spices and let them toast in the oil for 30 seconds.
3. Stir in tomato paste and pumpkin puree. Let mixture sit for a minute. Fold in coconut milk until combined and just heated through.
4. When lentils are cooked, add pumpkin mixture, salt, and cilantro Fold all ingredients together and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
5. Serve alone or with quinoa or brown rice.