This simple South Asian recipe is delicious, easy to cook and is easy to digest. This is a very good option if you want to cook something fast but do not have lot of options. The combination of herbs and spices will fill your kitchen with a wonderful fragrance, and reward your tongue with spiciness that isn’t overly hot.
Serves: 6 (makes 9 cups)
- 3½ cups water
- ¾ cup dry brown basmati rice
- ¾ cup dry red lentils
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom seed
- 1 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (10 ounces/2 cups chopped)
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic (2 large cloves)
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced ginger
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium Yukon gold potato, diced into small cubes (8 ounces, about 1-1/4 cups)
- 1 medium yam, diced into small cubes (8 ounces, about 1-1/2 cups)
- 2 large ribs celery, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1¼ cup green peas (thaw first if frozen)
- 4 cups roughly chopped curly kale (about 3 large leaves)
1. In a large soup pot, stir together the water, rice, lentils, and spices (cumin, coriander, red pepper, turmeric, cardamom, clove). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 45 minutes. While the rice and lentils are cooking, chop and prepare the remaining ingredients.
2. About 15 minutes before the rice and lentils are done cooking, place a large skillet or saucepan on high heat with 2 tablespoons of water. Once the water starts sizzling, add the chopped onion and sauté for 3 minutes (adding water as needed to prevent sticking). Add the garlic and ginger, and sauté for another 2 minutes, taking care not to burn the garlic, adding water as needed.
3. Add to the onions, garlic and ginger: 3 cups water, potatoes, yams, and celery, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook covered for 7 minutes. Stir in the peas and kale and cook an additional 3 minutes (still covered). (The potatoes should now be tender.)
4. Add the onion-potato mixture to the pot of rice and lentils and stir well. Serve immediately.